Hamilton has been a major Canadian Great Lakes port city since the 1800s. It is in the traditional territory of the Haudensaunee and Anishnaabeg. Situated at the west end of Lake Ontario, 66 km west of the remarkable Niagara Falls and the United States border, Hamilton was originally settled by an Iroquoian nation at least 650 years ago, but evidence suggests it was inhabited for about 6,000 years before that. The city grew gradually until the 1820s when a canal was constructed, turning the town into a major port. Following this development the population exploded, with an enormous migration in the following decade from the United Kingdom. Hamilton was then incorporated as a city in 1846 and continues to be a major manufacturing and industrial area. In fact, Hamilton is Canada’s largest steel producer. Apart from industry, there are several parks and small waterfalls in the region, including Bayfront Park, Pier 4 Park, Tiffany Falls Conservation Area, Devil’s Punchbowl Falls, and many more.